Greater Lansing Area, United States, North America
Senior (5+ years of experience)
10 May, 2017
Lead Software Designer
Our client is a leading financial services company based in the Lansing area. Our client is seeking a Lead Software Designer who will have both software design and mentoring responsibility. This person will Design, coordinate, and implement multiple critical and complex projects for application development, maintenance, and enhancements. The incumbent negotiates system architectural needs, analyzes system and business requirements, and develops project plans from written specifications. Also, collaborates with user departments and other technology teams to coordinate the implementation of work requests and to provide guidance and operational support for production systems.
The following are high level requirements for this role:
- Must be well versed in Java development
- Must be well versed in Java design
- Experienced with Backend database – SQL, DB2 and Stored Procedures
- Manages large impactful, complex projects and designs, codes, and tests business applications.
- Maintains, integrates, and implements software systems/applications.
- Works with others throughout the testing and implementation process.
- May provide on-going support for significant programming changes on an on-going basis (i.e., post implementation).
- Analyzes requirements and recommends solutions to integrate application/software/system components.
- Troubleshoots end-user issues and performs programming activities to address programming errors or potentially needed enhancements.
- Expertly utilizes development tools and maintains an expert level of programming languages and technologies. Also leads others to expertly leverage tools and technology.
- Promotes quality by performing code reviews, developing and enforcing coding standards, recognizing system deficiencies, and implementing effective solutions.
- Creates and executes expert level project work plans and revises as appropriate to meet changing needs and provide deliverables in a timely and efficient manner.
- Gathers business requirements, develops technical documentation, and promotes the use of existing documentation.
- Expertly responds to the needs of internal and external clients and clearly articulates ideas and plans with clients and team members.
- Mentors and develops all levels of Software Developers.
- Applies the standard development methodology process to all projects.
- Actively seeks and participates in personal and team development opportunities to meet departmental goals. Maintains knowledge in field of expertise, and provides development resources and opportunities for team members. Monitors industry trends and developments to improve system design and customer service.
- Provides scheduled on-call 24x7 system support on a rotational basis.
- May participate in the evaluation and recommendation of new technology.
- Presents information to clients and peers.
- Performs other special projects or duties as assigned.
Job Requirements (Knowledge, Skills & Abilities)
- Successful completion of an analytical aptitude exam.
- Strong knowledge of the following languages: JAVA, SQL and Rules Programming.
- Prefer hands on experience with one or more of the following: Java Web Services, JSF, DB2, Sybase IQ, Mongo DB, Drools, ODM, jBPM and Spring batch framework, SAP Data Services, etc.
- Demonstrated record of successful, complex cross-system implementations.
- Solid experience applying methodologies to design and implement projects.
- Ability to successfully manage multiple projects in a changing technical environment.
- Excellent problem-solving skills with the ability to develop technical and business solutions.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong analytical ability.
- Ability to collaborate effectively in a team environment to achieve desired results.
- Ability to work extended hours as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience and/or education.
- 8+ years of relevant experience required.
- Financial services experience and professional insurance designations are preferred.
- Additional information:
- Data warehouse work is a plus
- Big data is a plus
- Mostly DB2 shop – stored procedures is a must
- Security sessions – SSO a plus
- Must had led teams (guiding and mentoring) and actual design work
- Rules programming: JBOSS, ODM, JODM
Job keywords/tags: Lead Software Designer , Lead , Mentor , Java Development , Java , Java Design , SQL , DB2 , Stored Procedures